Truth in Housing Inspections
Call 651.644.3999

Minneapolis Truth in Housing Inspections

In Minneapolis, you’ll need a Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) evaluation to sell:

  • All single family homes, duplexes, townhouses and first-time condo conversions are included. Townhouses always need a TISH, but condos that have been previously owned do not need a TISH.
  • The TISH report must be done within 3 days of offering the property for sale (by listing, advertising, for-sale sign, etc.) and before it can be shown to buyers
  • A Minneapolis TISH report is good for two years or one sale
  • A re-inspection must be done after the repairs are completed. This is separate from the first inspection and requires an additional $50.00 fee
  • The buyer can assume the TISH repairs if they’re willing to do so
  • Repairs that require a permit are re-inspected by a city inspector (not Apple).

*NEW in 2020: Home energy data is now collected during all Truth in Housing inspections.

We’ll be drilling a hole in a closet or other inconspicuous spot to check for insulation.
If you have an energy audit less than 5 years old, you can skip this step.
See: TISH Energy Disclosure Report.

Where can I get a copy of a Minneapolis Truth in Housing report?

TISH reports and all related forms are on the Minneapolis Property Information page for that property, along with the list of repairs and Certificates of Approval.

If the buyer takes over the repairs, they must complete the repairs within 90 days after closing.

Can I sell the house “as-is”?

You will still need a TISH inspection, but you can sell the house “as-is” if the buyer agrees to take over the repairs. The buyer signs the Acknowledgement of Responsibility at closing. The buyer, buyer’s agent, and the closer are jointly required to file the Acknowledgement of Responsibility form and a copy of the TISH report with the Minneapolis Truth in Housing Department within 1 day after the closing date. If a current Certificate of Approval is presented at closing, the Acknowledgement of Responsibility is not needed.

How do I get a permit for repairs?

Some TISH repairs require a permit. If a permit is needed, that is indicated on the notification letter you’ll get in the mail. Homeowners can get permits for the single-family house that they are living in (an owner-occupied single-family dwelling).

A homeowner should not pull a permit for repair work done by someone else. Whoever pulls the permit is responsible for completing the work correctly. If you hire someone to do work that requires a permit, it should be a licensed contractor. The contractor should pull their own permit. If you pull a permit for a contractor, that makes you responsible for their work.

A homeowner can pull a permit for most types of work. There are some exceptions. For example, a homeowner cannot pull a permit for gas or vent work on a furnace or boiler. Homeowners cannot pull permits for duplexes, even if they live on the property.

Minneapolis Permit Counter:
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1373
Phone: (612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416

How do I get a “Safety Check”?

Some repairs require a Safety Check, for example water heater venting problems, some electrical issues, and some furnace or boiler problems. If a Safety Check is required, it is indicated on the notifications letter. The evaluator and/or the Truth in Housing Department determine the need for Safety Checks.

Licensed contractors in the related trade must do Safety Checks. (For example, a licensed electrician must do a Safety Check for the electrical system.)

How do I get an inspection after the repairs are done?

The seller can have the repairs inspected any time before closing. If the buyer takes over the repairs, the buyer has 90 days from the date of closing to:

  1. See that all required permits are pulled.
  2. Complete all the required repairs.
  3. Have any required Safety Checks completed and sent to the Truth in Housing office.
  4. Schedule a re-inspection.
  5. For permit items, call the inspector listed on your permit.

For non-permit items, call Apple. There will be a $50 re-inspection fee for this service.

What if I want to re-sell the property?

To re-sell, all repairs from the previous Truth in Housing report must be done and a new Truth in Housing report obtained. Reports are good only for one sale, and only for the person named as the seller on the report.