Truth in Housing Inspections
Call 651.644.3999

Hopkins Truth in Housing Inspections

If your home is in Hopkins, you’ll need a Truth in Housing evaluation to sell:

  • All single family homes, duplexes, condominiums, and townhouses are included
  • The report is good for one year or one sale
  • Any items marked “Required Repair” on the report must be corrected. Other deficiencies may be noted but will not require repairs
  • A city employee will inspect the repairs after they’re done, not Apple (we’re licensed contractors)


A Truth-in-Housing Evaluation Report is not required for the sale or conveyance:

  1. To a federal, state or local government unit. When the title is transferred to the first owner following construction.
  2. For one year from the date of the final certificate of inspection or certificate of occupancy of a newly constructed condominium, townhouse or any building or structure containing one, two, three or four units.
  3. From an owner to a relative. Relative is defined as husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandson, granddaughter, grandfather or grandmother.

Official Hopkins Truth in Housing website

Selling your home

Before any residential property in Hopkins is put up for sale, it must have a “Truth-In-Housing” evaluation. These evaluations provide prospective buyers with information about the condition of the house and garage, as well as help to eliminate any health and safety concerns in Hopkins neighborhoods.

Having your property evaluated

You will need to contact a licensed independent evaluator to evaluate your property. Evaluators are private inspectors who have passed a certification test with the cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, or Bloomington. Fees for the evaluation are set by the individual evaluator.

The evaluator will conduct a visual inspection of all aspects of the house and garage and rate them, based on current codes, as:

  • Meets minimum requirements
  • Below minimum requirements
  • Repair/Replace These items must be corrected before you can close on the sale of your property.

After the evaluation has been completed, the evaluator will file your Truth-in-Housing Disclosure Report with the City of Hopkins, as well as provide you with a copy. You must make this report available to potential buyers at the time of a showing and share it with every prospective buyer.

Your report is valid for one year from date of issue and only for the owner named on the report. Any questions concerning the content of the report should be directed to the Truth-in-Housing evaluator whose name and phone number appears at the bottom of the report.

Closing the sale

In order to close on the sale of your house, you must provide the buyer with a Certificate of Approval. This is issued after all repair/replace items on your Truth-in-Housing Disclosure Report have been corrected or arrangements have been made for their future correction.

Common Repair/Replace Orders

Items marked repair/replace on your Truth-In-Housing Disclosure Report must be fixed before you can close on the sale of your property. Some of the most common items in this category are listed below.

Smoke Detectors

Problem: Missing

Smoke detectors are required on each level of the home, including the basement, and outside each sleeping area.

Problem: Inoperable

Problem: Improperly located

Smoke detectors are not allowed in kitchens, garages, or other spaces where the temperature can fall below 32°F or exceed 100°F. In basements they should be located near the stairway leading to the floor above.

Electrical System

Problem: Extension cords in lieu of permanent wiring

Installing an outlet requires an electrical permit.

Problem: Open junction box

Problem: Missing knockouts

Problem: Uncapped wiring

Problem: Missing or broken switch or outlet cover plates

Heating System

Problem: Certification required

You will need to contact a licensed contractor to test the heating system. The furnace may show signs of leakage or cracks in the combustion chamber. The contractor is required to obtain a permit if there is a new furnace installation.

Problem: Improper venting

Problem: Not enough clearance to combustibles

A one-inch air gap is required between vents and studs. Use either copper pipe or electrical conduit to separate the stud and sheet metal across the studs.

Water Heater

Problem: Missing or inoperable temperature and pressure relief valve

Problem: Undersized or improper height of relief drain piping

Relief valve piping is required to extend no less than 6 and no more than 18 inches from the floor. No permit required.

Problem: Improper venting

Vents must be continuously venting upward.

Problem: Back spillage at draft hood

A licensed contractor must test the water heater and verify that it is no longer backdrafting. The contractor is required to obtain a permit if there is a new water heater installation.

Plumbing System

Problem: Open drain (missing trap)

Problem: Leaky toilet

Problem: Open sewer line (broken or missing cover)

Problem: Missing floor drain cleanout plug

Problem: Missing backflow preventer/anti-siphon device

This is required on lawn irrigation systems and boilers.

Gas Lines

Problem: Uncapped gas line

Capping a gas line does not require a permit. To install gas piping requires a permit.

Problem: Flexible gas line to appliance

This is not allowed unless AGA approved. There will be an AGA tag on it.